Friday, November 27, 2009

My myspace account was "phished" (hacked into), and the "phisherman" put my acco

Help! My myspace profile was on some website called freindrateronline.com or something like that, and one of my friends emailed me about it.



Pictures of my kids, the city where I live, etc. were all on there. My account is set to private for just that reason.



When I went to friendrateronline.com, the first thing it said I had to do was verify my cell phone number. I don't even know how to make sure my profile info isn't posted up there anymore!



My myspace account was "phished" (hacked into), and the "phisherman" put my account info up on another website

This FriendRaterOnline.com website is a phishing site that's deeply involved in the whole ringtone scam nonsense that's been flooding MySpace the last two weeks.



This scam involves phishing people into giving their email and password to find out the private information, pictures, or video that are supposedly on the site.



When you do, their scripts grab your email and password, then instantly login to MySpace and send fake bulletins to all your friends that do the same thing.



What people don't realize is that the bulletin itself is grabbing your MySpace information from your own profile and adding it to your version of the bulletin.



In other words, everyone thinks their personal information is at play on some other site.



It's not. There is nothing at these sites but a series of ringtone offers designed to trick unwary people into entering their cell number so they get auto-billed for ringtones.



If you don't signup for ringtones, they get you to give up your email address and password to see what you think is your private pictures, etc.



Surprise! There is absolutely nothing there.



Again, there have been dozens of variations on this ringtones scam flooding MySpace for weeks.



Full details are here:



http://hitsusa.com/blog/100/friendratero...



They also have info on all the other ringtones phishing sites as well. These sites are all phony front ends to two sites, coolstuff2see.com and bestunbeatableoffers.com where all the phishing scripts are hosted.



HitsUSA has been exposing them all as they surface, but too many people act without thinking because they've been tricked into thinking their private stuff has been posted at these sites.



Tens of thousands of people keep logging into these sites every day, so it won't stop anytime soon....



And tens of thousands of people are then getting their profiles deleted for spamming MySpace with fake bulletins (ouch!)



Be careful online. It doesn't matter that the bulletin is from a friend because it's not true.



They didn't really send you the bulletin, the phishing site did.



Your pictures aren't there either.



Bottom line: Avoid this scam website like the plague!



My myspace account was "phished" (hacked into), and the "phisherman" put my account info up on another website

yeah that happend to me before, what you do is , set ur security settings to approve messages only , that way when you get suss messages like that u can delete it right away , what happend to me was a comment came to me from a mate saying iam closeing this account bla bla so if u want to keep in touch add me to this account , so i clicked on that and it took me into a different page just looked like the real thing , like myspace page and telling me i have to sign in , so i did and there i was hacked cos i entered my password and they got it , cut the long story short , there was a lot of group was hacked by that way lol, it just went one to a nother , so we all alerted one a nother on the bulletin , and we all changed our password and that was to it.... lesson learnt i guess , so what you so is just change ur pw and don't click on any from unknown links , then you should be right :)



My myspace account was "phished" (hacked into), and the "phisherman" put my account info up on another website

My first question is - are they "pointing" to your pics on myspace rather than having grabbed the pictures and uploaded them separately? If so, you may be able to simply delete the photos from my space so they will be pointing to nothing. (But you may have thought of that already)



Otherwise, is there a way to contact the webmaster of the second site? And file some sort of complaint?



Gosh, I am suprised that they had access if your info was set to private.



I'd also contact myspace and see if they have any insight on what to do, since the info was phished off their site.



I wish I could offer more....



Good luck!



ADDED: I went to the second site to see what you mean...



If you want a phantom phone number to use, try going to http://privatephone.com/



I have an account there, it's free and I haven't had any problems. You get a FREE phonenumber with a voicemail. You could try entering in the phone number you get there and see if you can trick the site.



MORE: I tried putting in my fake phone number... and guess what.... it takes you through a series of ads. Like when you see those stupid ads where you have to complete ads to get some freebie. It's kinda like that. I quit after about 5 different ads when it finally asked for my email address.



What type of "friend" told you this? A real friend, or an online friend who might be scamming you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Ltd